Serving our community since 1875
The first burial at St. Matthew’s took place in 1875, when the cemetery was founded as a small church cemetery, primarily serving the congregation of St. Matthew’s Church (now located in Hamburg, NY). There is more information about our early history on our Traditional Lots page, under the Original Cemetery heading.
Today, St. Matthew’s Cemetery is a non-denominational cemetery serving the needs of all faiths in the Western New York area. The cemetery is perhaps best known for its beautifully designed and perpetually cared for burial gardens such as Saints Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, Philip, James, Mary and others. Our beautiful, modern chapel was constructed in 1998, and in 2012, we opened the Resurrection Chapel in its vestibule. At that time, we also opened Faith Mausoleum.
In 2008, the cemetery was acquired by The Forest Lawn Group of Cemeteries. This acquisition, approved by the New York State Division of Cemeteries and New York State Supreme Court, allows St. Matthew’s to continue to offer the finest in perpetual care. The Forest Lawn Group also operates Forest Lawn Cemetery on Delaware Avenue in Buffalo, Lakeside Cemetery on Camp Road in Hamburg, and Williamsville Cemetery on Main Street in Amherst. As the cemetery has grown to meet the needs of the community at large, our mission has remained the same: to provide a dignified, attractive cemetery in an atmosphere that is warm and personal.